Thursday, September 6, 2007

Childhood was so much easier

The rigors of life seem to multiply almost exponentially as we age, and yet our ability to deal with them fails to keep up. Young adults are turning toward medication and therapy at a rate that should scare people. I understand that psychologists and witch doctors can help individuals to cope with tough times, but it's almost like people no longer try to make it on their own.

I've been to a therapist or two in my day, I admit, and the first one was a nice guy. Sorta looked like Bull from Night Court (by the way, the character's name in the show was actually Nostradamus Shannon...which is awesome). I cannot say that much came from talking with this man, but we did play a lot of card games. One of his colleagues diagnosed me as ADD and drugged me with mind altering substances to 'make me normal.' Normal sucks. Normal is the last thing on Earth I want to be.

The second shrink I went to see was a witch doctor. This bat crazy voodoo sorceress tried to convince me that the path to being 'cured' was obviously for me to go talk to her horse. I don't need to say anything else. I'm ending this paragraph now.

I did not want to talk to these people, though I was urged to by the powers that be, so I did so. I personally think the real cure for anyone who's feeling down is to get back to those happier times. Wake up and do the things you did when you were young and carefree. Play in the mud, build a fort, shove vitamins up your nose, color on the walls, and not worry about anything.

To summarize, I believe that ultimate psychological salvation lies entirely in watching Bobby's World.

No comments: